NICHABAU – A volunteer committee was formed last year to raise funds for a new fence and proper signage at Holy Spirit cemetery in Nichabau. Thanks to the generosity of the community, close to $16,000 was raised for this project. A new chain-link fence has been installed around the cemetery to replace the old wooden posts and page wire.
The cemetery has been in existence since 1958. The church was closed in June 2003 due to a shortage of clergy and the property was sold for a residence, but the cemetery has always been in use. Committee members contacted friends and relatives with family members interred in the cemetery. Many donations were made to the project through Canada Helps, a registered charity and other donations were given directly to the project
A local contractor installed the fence last year; the installation of the gates to accommodate vehicle traffic was done this spring. A walking entrance constructed of steel symbolizes the first Holy Spirit Church, which was destroyed by a tornado on July 15, 1984. It was erected to the left side of the main gates. Adorning this structure is the bell from the first Holy Spirit Church which was refurbished by another resident. A historical plaque will be installed at a later date with other improvements planned for the future.