BEI Investigation


BEI investigates after person found unconscious on interrogation room floor

 François Carrier
Local Journalism Initiative

CAMPBELL’S BAY – Friday, March 1, around 2:30 p.m., the Bureau of Independent Investigations (BEI) launched an investigation into the circumstances of a detention involving the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) station in Campbell’s Bay. According to information released by the BEI, around 8:40 a.m., SQ police officers arrested a person at their home. Later in the day, around 11:15 a.m., the person was allegedly found unconscious on the floor of the SQ station’s interrogation room. First aid was provided to them and they were then transported to a hospital where their condition was considered serious. No further information has been made available at this time by the BEI.

According to procedure in this type of case, no theory can be mentioned, nor any element of the investigation made public before the conclusion, which can take several months. Contacted by CHIP FM, the BEI nevertheless confirmed that the interrogation room is monitored by cameras, and the BEI is in possession of the footage.

Five BEI investigators were tasked with investigating the circumstances surrounding the intervention and given the procedures in this type of case, the Montreal police are taking over the original criminal investigation that led to the arrest, as the SQ can not continue the investigation while themselves being investigated. The BEI is asking anyone who may have witnessed this event to contact them via their website: BEI investigations take on average just over five months.

The BEI’s mission is to shed complete light on the facts surrounding the police intervention. The BEI investigates all cases where a person, other than a police officer on duty, dies, suffers serious injury or is injured by a firearm used by a police officer during a police intervention or while in police custody.

Both the SQ and the Montreal City Police Service declined to comment due to the BEI investigation. BEI confirmed to the Journal that the person who was found unconscious was still hospitalized and in serious condition as of the morning of March 8.